Friday, May 14, 2010

Leftover Roast - Beef Tacos

Growing up, we always had a roast every Sunday along with mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots & peas, salad, etc. Now that I'm grown up (somewhat) it's still one of my favorite meals, although I don't make it every Sunday. When I do make it, like I did on Mother's Day, I always have a lot of leftover roast, and this is one of my favorite ways to use it up. It is so super easy and if you need a quick meal some night and you have some leftover pot roast, give this a try! It is juicy and flavorful and delicious. You can use it for burritos, tacos, or whatever you like. It would probably work great with a pork roast too (as long as it's tender enough to get all shredded), but I've just always used beef.


Beef Tacos

1 lb. leftover pot roast
1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
tortillas
lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, avocado, cheese, etc. (your favorite burrito/taco toppings)

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the leftover pot roast, shredding it as it warms. Add tomatoes, stock, chili powder and cumin. Stir ingredients together and cover. Let roast simmer in the sauce about 15-20 minutes, until heated through, the roast is completely shredded, and most of the liquid is gone. Serve in warmed tortillas and top as desired.

I should note that it's really juicy and messy, but it's worth it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was delicious!!! Thank you for sharing!

Tobie2 said...

We made this tonight and it was delicious!

Thank you!