Monday, April 14, 2014

Asian-style Meatballs

It's funny how things change when you have kids.  I used to think going to the eye doctor was the worst form of torture imaginable, but I just went a few weeks ago, and it was actually quite pleasant! I got to sit in a waiting room all by myself, I read a magazine, I chatted with other adults, etc. Sure, I had an eye exam too, but the overall experience was quite lovely.  While I was perusing some home-type of magazine I can't even remember, I came across a delicious looking recipe for asian meatballs.  Maybe I was just hungry because it was 5:00 and I hadn't eaten dinner yet, but I found myself really wishing I could eat them right then!  Well two days later, I had no desire to make what I had originally planned for dinner, but I realized I had everything I needed to make these!  Hooray!  And wow, they were so delicious.  The flavors just explode in your mouth. The kids devoured them and much to my dismay, there were no leftovers. :( Winner!

Asian-style Meatballs
These are pretty soft and squishy when being assembled, but oh-so-moist and tender and delicious when cooked!

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger (or 1/2 tsp. dried ground)
1 T. soy sauce
2 tsp. pure maple syrup
4 T. vegetable oil, divided

Heat 2 T. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  In a medium-sized bowl, combine remaining ingredients thoroughly.  Roll or scoop into golf ball-sized meatballs and fry in oil on all sides until done. I'm sure you could also bake these with great results.

Source: Gwyneth Paltrow recipe (few slight changes)

No comments: